Business Development Manager
- Closing: This role has no specific closing date.
Experience level: Mid-career (5+ years post-Bachelor’s degree work experience or equivalent)
Location: New York City or Remote (within the US)
BlueMark is a leading provider of independent impact verification and intelligence in the impact and sustainable investing market. Our mission is to strengthen trust in impact and sustainable investing by delivering independent, incisive verification services, enabling the market to scale with integrity. We evaluate and verify how clients approach the impact in impact investing based on accepted industry standards. Our services are designed to meet the growing investor demand and market expectation for accountability to use of the impact label, especially as impact claims are more closely scrutinized by a range of stakeholders.
About the position:
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing, early-stage company in a dynamic, impactful industry. The Business Development Manager will play a key role in leading business development efforts for BlueMark, in partnership with the Marketing and R&D teams. The Business Development Manager will (1) work with the Director of Sales and Marketing and the broader leadership team to define and develop the overarching BD strategy, plans and targets, (2) manage a small and growing team of Sales Analysts, and (3) oversee and optimize BD operations and processes. In addition, the BD Manager will have responsibility for one or more sales channels to help achieve quarterly and annual revenue goals. The role will be expected to steward and grow a portfolio of clients and impact investors by building relationships and securing sales. There is a strong preference for candidates that bring experience in or exposure to Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) and/or impact investing. The role will be performed in close collaboration with the Director of Sales and Marketing at BlueMark.
The primary responsibilities for this role include:
● Help define BlueMark’s overarching sales strategy, including establishing and monitoring progress towards key business targets; recommend and implement changes to existing recruitment and engagement strategy
● Partner with the Marketing Manager to evolve and enhance BlueMark’s end-to-end sales processes, including ensuring alignment with and integration of marketing initiatives to help drive lead generation
● Directly manage Sales Analysts and indirectly the wider BD team to drive towards revenue goals - including to shape and ensure effective implementation of prospecting and lead generation activities to attract new clients into the BlueMark orbit, cultivation of opportunities through pipeline, and adherence to internal processes for proposal and contract drafting
● Collaborate with Data Analyst to maintain integrity of CRM data and provide weekly and quarterly progress readouts to the full BD team
● Drive a designated sales channel through prospecting, email correspondence, introductory calls, and in-person meetings (where relevant)
● Integrate a more comprehensive client management approach into existing sales and project engagement processes to ensure we continue to nurture existing clients outside of primary sales cycles
● Support strategic identification and cultivation of partnership opportunities with allocators, network organizations, and other intermediaries
● Attend in-person conferences and travel once a quarter to NY/London to spend in-person time with BD and marketing teams
● Maintain and contribute to BlueMark’s content library of case studies, pitch decks, proposal templates, and other key marketing content and sales collateral
● Provide feedback from conversations with prospects to inform BlueMark’s existing and potential new services
The ideal candidate is collaborative, process-minded, and driven to learn; is exceptionally well-organized with an eye for detail; communicates well; and is committed to advancing social and environmental outcomes. Every member of the team embodies our firm’s values: excellence, commitment, and openness.
● Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
● 10+ years of experience, preferably in a B2B Sales role
● Understanding of the impact or sustainability investing industry preferred
● Experience managing sales flows and teams to drive revenue goals
● Strong analytical skills, with ability to translate data and customer feedback into insights
● A problem solver with a high degree of business acumen, experience with strategy development, and the ability to work across a matrixed environment and collaborate and influence effectively at all levels
● Curious and energized by a deep understanding of what clients care about
● Self-starter who can manage priorities, meet deadlines and has exceptional project management skills, inclusive of the ability to lead and organize the development of marketing materials and new research needs
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills; brings discipline, organization, and accountability to communications with colleagues and prospective clients
● Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to influence.
● Strong negotiation skills and an ability to think strategically about new business opportunities.
Hiring Process FAQs:
What are some of the benefits and perks?
We have a flexible Friday every other week!
A professional development stipend is available for every employee to use towards improving their expertise and soft skills.
We offer a wellness stipend to all employees so they can invest in activities that engender well-being.
Beyond providing a work laptop, we have a “Work From Home” stipend available for employees to help make their home working space better.
Retreats: We hold retreats every year where team members get together in a beautiful location to brainstorm and just have a fun time.
We close the office for the last week of December so everyone can enjoy time with family and friends during the holiday season.
You will be directly influencing the decisions of some of the largest institutions in the world. Since we are a small team, you will be in direct contact with institutional decision-makers who are trying to create large-scale social and environmental change through investments.
What’s your policy on remote work?
We embrace team members’ flexibility to work remotely. For cities that have more than 4 employees, the team to meets at least once a week in the office.
What will the hiring process look like?
Looking for a new job can be a daunting experience. Our approach is based in empathy and a desire for candidates to have a good experience. We want to give everyone an opportunity to display their strengths through their answers to our questions.
Hiring Process: Our timeline from the application close date to decision typically takes ~5-6 weeks. Below are the steps week by week:
Week 1-2 - Applications are blind-reviewed after the application close date: Our process is designed to remove bias by having your application answers randomly assigned to our team for review. Two team members score the responses based on a set of guidelines. The candidates with the highest average scores get invited to the interview round. We do not look at resumes and we do not know whose answers we are scoring. We embrace a diversity of working styles and backgrounds and believe that limiting applications to resumes fails to capture the full potential of an individual.
Week 2-4 - Behavioral Interview - The first interview is a 45-minute structured interview with non-senior team members.
Week 4-6 - Senior Management Interview: The candidates with the highest average scores from the first round interview are invited to a second structured interview with Senior Management.
How would you describe your culture?
Collaborative, inclusive, passionate, and fun. We encourage all team members to be their full selves at work. As a relatively small team, there are a lot of opportunities to have your voice heard. Our structure is relatively flat, and you are able to influence decisions, processes, and policies even as an analyst.
What’s your commitment to DEI to life in culture and workplace?
We have an internal DE&I working group that is committed to improving Tideline's practices, culture, and employee experience. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core tenets of our culture and we place a heavy emphasis on constantly learning and improving our own understanding of what that means for our business. At BlueMark, we believe that compassion, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion manifests in three key ways:
The mission and vision of BlueMark
Our firm’s vision of shared, sustainable prosperity is inseparably rooted in the credo of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive world.
How we conduct ourselves as an employer
BlueMark is an equal opportunity employer, and we value the unique contributions of each of our team members. Through our hiring, mentoring, and managing, we encourage our team to bring their full selves and individuality to Tideline’s work.
How we use our influence
In our work with clients, we strive to be an enabling force in the equitable distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within our society.
Removing bias from the hiring process
Removing bias from the hiring process
- Your application will be anonymously reviewed by our hiring team to ensure fairness
- You’ll need a CV/résumé, but it’ll only be considered if you score well on the anonymous review