The Global Innovation Fund (www.globalinnovation.fund) (GIF) is a $200m non-profit innovation fund headquartered in London. We invest in the piloting, rigorous testing and scaling of innovations targeted at improving the lives of the poorest people in developing countries. GIF aims to support a portfolio of innovations that collectively open up opportunities and improve lives for hundreds of millions of people across the developing world.
We believe that the best ideas for solving some of the world’s most critical problems can come from anyone, anywhere. Through our grants and risk capital, we support breakthrough solutions to global development challenges from social enterprises, non-profit organisations, researchers, for-profit firms, and government agencies.
GIF offers grants, loans (including convertible debt), and equity investments ranging from $50,000 to $15 million to support a range of innovations with strong potential for social impact at a large scale. We define ‘innovation’ broadly to include new business models, policy practices, technologies, behavioural insights, or ways of delivering products and services that benefit the poor in developing countries. We support innovators at different phases of development, ranging from early start-up and pilot-testing to rigorous experiments and larger scale implementation. The innovations GIF supports can be located in any developing country and may focus on any sector relevant to international development (see our current investments at www.globalinnovation.fund/investments).
GIF seeks to hire a Legal Officer for Governance and Grants sitting within the Legal & ESG Team.
Main duties of the role include;
• Reviews and participates in negotiations of GIF’s grant agreements with grantees, including drafting supporting legal documentation
• Advises the General Counsel on all matters relating to GIF’s governance, (Board of Directors and Committees of the Board), including advising on English charity law, development of policies and training, orderly record-keeping of minutes and resolutions, drafting resolutions and advising on compliance with GIF’s articles and byelaws
• Liaises with the Senior Legal Counsel on matters relating to the legal aspects of GIF’s risk capital portfolio, including drafting and negotiating investment documentation
• Advises on compliance with GIF’s various donor grant agreements, including participating in negotiations of any new agreements, and providing technical legal support to Chief of Staff and his Communications team with donor reporting obligations; Advises on the design of governance arrangements for any new GIF vehicles, sub-funds or subsidiaries
• Drafts, implements and reviews GIF policies and procedures as they relate to good governance, conflicts of interest, intellectual property and donor requirements (such as safeguarding)
• Provides legal advice and training to GIF staff acting as nominee directors or board observers
• Instructs and works with external legal counsel where necessary
GIF is a dynamic and rapidly growing start-up entity; the Director will be expected to adapt quickly to the needs of the organization and could have a range of other duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have the following experience and skills:
• Professional written and communication skills gained within a legal capacity
• Demonstrated project management skills gained within a legal department
• Demonstrated experience of governance (especially charity governance), risk and compliance framework and processes
• Demonstrated experience of liaising with senior management providing technical legal support
• Demonstrate they are action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced legal environment.
• Professional experience of managing a complex and varied legal work load and work under pressure
• University Degree in Law
• Qualification as a Solicitor in a common law jurisdiction
• At least two to three years progressively responsible experience working as a legal professional in banking and finance or other relevant area and within a non-profit, charity or government
• Demonstrated experience working with non-profits, charities or government
• A demonstrated commitment to GIF’s mission and demonstrated appetite for learning GIF’s business
• Ability to constantly adapt working style to meet complex and varied workloads
• Top-tier analytic, strategic thinking and project management skills within the legal profession
• Comfort with ambiguity and proven experience thriving in uncharted waters
• Demonstrate a sense of humour and cheerful nature