Associate, Reporting and Assessment
About the PRI
The PRI is the world’s leading proponent of responsible investment. It works to understand the investment implications of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors and to support its international network of investor signatories in incorporating these factors into their investment and ownership decisions. The PRI acts in the long-term interests of its signatories, of the financial markets and economies in which they operate and ultimately of the environment and society as a whole. The PRI is truly independent. It encourages investors to use responsible investment to enhance returns and better manage risks but does not operate for its own profit; it engages with global policymakers but is not associated with any government; it is supported by, but not part of, the United Nations.
Working at the PRI provides an opportunity to engage with highly motivated, culturally diverse professionals on a wide range of cutting edge issues, such as income inequality through the lens of sustainable finance. The PRI provides scope for development at all levels with opportunities for project leadership and management working alongside some of the most influential signatories and leaders across financial markets and economies. In combination with a supportive culture that encourages continuous learning and flexible working policies, PRI is a highly engaging place to work on truly transformative issues.
This is a great opportunity to join the team responsible for implementing the annual PRI Reporting and Assessment (R&A) – the largest global reporting project in Responsible Investment for institutional investors. Full details on the R&A activities can be found here: https://www.unpri.org/signatories/reporting-for-signatories.
This associate role will mostly be operations-focused and requires good project-management skills. The associate will be responsible for supporting the Reporting Manager and the team in running the reporting process from beginning to end. This includes assisting the team to ensure that our operations run smoothly and that we deliver projects on time. However, the successful candidate will also have the opportunity to support asset class specific question development within the Reporting Framework in cross-collaboration with other teams. Other responsibility areas include providing support to investors and conducting analysis of feedback and reported data.
§ Support the team deliverables and report to the Reporting Manager/ Head of Reporting & Accountability.
§ Supporting signatories in reporting their RI activities – helpdesk phone and email, meetings, presentations, and guidance documents.
§ Supporting development and publishing of the Reporting Framework content.
§ Managing the reporting content on ESG and active ownership in listed equity. This includes developing and refining the modules, supporting signatories in the process of preparing information and reporting to PRI, as well as co-ordinating with teams across PRI to ensure consistency of approach.
§ Preparation of R&A presentations or other outputs both independently and in collaboration with other teams.
§ Assisting with the testing and maintenance of reporting tools.
§ Performing gap analyses and cross referencing other responsible investment initiatives that relate primarily to the listed equity asset class.
§ Qualitative and quantitative analysis of PRI data that feeds back into the development and improvement of the Reporting Framework
§ Documenting R&A processes.
PRI expects roles at a ‘Associate level’ within the organisation to demonstrate skills across the following core competencies:
· Incorporates the fullest range of information available into analysis and decision making
· Uses appropriate technical processes/systems to develop and evaluate options in an effective and time-efficient manner
· Assimilates data to draws out relevant insights and findings from analyses
· Identifies opportunities and risks to feed into decision making
· Presents analyses in an appropriate format providing clear and concise recommendations
· Understands, and always works towards, the mission and the aims of the PRI
· Is curious about what is happening in other parts of the PRI
· Is Signatory centric – seeks to understand, listen and respond to Signatory needs
· Understands own teams’ objectives and seeks to internalise them in own activities
· Understands who does what at the PRI and uses the knowledge to complete activities
· Approachable, credible and willing whenever engaging with colleagues
· Actively and appropriately seeks input from others
· Focuses on interacting with colleagues in an positive and open manner
· Listens to what colleagues are saying, considers from different perspectives and tailor’s responses accordingly
· Writes succinctly and clearly tailoring level of detail to the requirements of the end user
· Communicates clearly and precisely and able to convey thinking comprehensively
· Provides regular, clear and concise communications to manager, colleagues or other relevant people to keep updated on activities
· Structures and prepares well-written, logical outputs with limited guidance and editing
· Demonstrates self-awareness: actively seeks feedback from others and acts upon it
· Explores new ideas with an inquisitive mind
· Questions the status quo and suggests new ideas
· Seeks out opportunities to drive continuous improvements in ways of working
· Open-minded attitude which welcomes change and new ideas
· Prioritises and organises time effectively, focussing on the key organisational priorities
· Develops ways of working and processes to execute and improve efficiency across the PRI
· Methodically tackles problems, working with colleagues where necessary
· Takes account of the needs of other colleagues and/or Signatories when considering how to execute a piece of work
· Promotes and utilises effective project management skills
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE:
§ Strong project management, structured, able to manage a varied workload and deliver to strict deadlines under pressure;
§ Experience in qualitative and quantitative data analysis, especially in working with large datasets would be advantageous;
§ Numerate, able to understand and solve problems logically and in a structured manner;
§ Personable and polite, collaborative and able to deal with stakeholders with tact and diplomacy;
§ Strong attention to detail, but with the ability to see the bigger picture;
§ Ability to learn quickly and master a complex brief;
§ Excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills;
§ IT/system skills (Microsoft Office) (CRM, Sharepoint, social media, webcasts, etc. preferred)
§ Language skills, other than English, are desirable
§ Must be eligible to work in the UK.
Desirable competencies, but not required:
§ Degree in a relevant field such as finance, sustainability, climate change. Second degree preferred. Knowledge of environmental, social and governance issues in listed equity assets is an advantage;
§ Experience or affinity with the financial industry (reporting, engagement, voting, ESG incorporation); financial analyst experience would be advantageous;