- Closing: 10:18am, 1st Apr 2023 EDT
Experience level: Mid-career (8+ years post-Bachelor’s degree work experience or equivalent)
Location: New York, NY or remote
BlueMark is a leading provider of independent impact verification and intelligence in the impact and sustainable investing market. Our mission is to strengthen trust in impact and sustainable investing by delivering independent, incisive verification services, enabling the market to scale with integrity. We evaluate and verify how clients approach the impact in impact investing based on accepted industry standards. Our services are designed to meet the growing investor demand and market expectation for accountability to use of the impact label, especially as impact claims are more closely scrutinized by a range of stakeholders.
About the position:
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing, early stage company in a dynamic, impactful industry. The Marketing Director will play a key role in leading the firm’s marketing and communications strategy, campaigns, events. These marketing efforts will drive brand-building and awareness for BlueMark through communications, advertising, and content development that is supportive of business development activities and existing and prospective relationship management. The role will provide exciting opportunities to create and execute a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy, working directly with the BlueMark’s CEO, Managing Director, and Director of Business Development. It will also provide the opportunity to work with a diverse array of stakeholders in the fast growing impact and sustainable investing market. The role will also be instrumental in helping to grow a new pioneering business.
BlueMark is seeking highly skilled candidates with extensive marketing experience and comprehensive knowledge of branding, particularly in the financial services sector. There is a preference for candidates that bring experience in or exposure to Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) and/or impact investing, or candidates with experience leading marketing efforts in growing B2B companies.
The primary responsibilities for this role include:
○ Lead development of marketing strategy by working closely with senior management, team, services team, content providers, and distribution partners to create effective plans focused on growing the audience for BlueMark’s data products and verification services
○ Overseeing a team of designers, writers, researchers, etc. to ensure alignment with the marketing strategy.
○ Actively manage the marketing budget and dedicated resources, including internal staff and sub-contractors, ensuring best use of financial resources
■ Regularly evaluate performance against KPIs and return on marketing dollars, for internal management purposes and for reporting to the Board
○ Design and execute marketing and communications campaigns aligned with key business targets and audiences
■ Including test and control group segmentation, testing, tracking, results reporting, analyses, and recommendations
○ Engage with industry partners, trade associations, conference providers and others to identify strategic marketing opportunities and collaborate on marketing campaigns.
○ Oversee logistics around BlueMark marketing events, including webinars, conferences, and other speaking engagements throughout the year
○ Working with senior management and the Director of R&D, establish an editorial calendar of flagship research reports and a steady stream of opinion pieces
■ Lead efforts to market and distribute our key thought leadership pieces (Making the Mark, Raising the Bar).
○ Manage and maintain social media presence for the firm, ensuring that BlueMark’s point of view is kept up to date on key topical issues and themes
○ Manage conception, development, and implementation of marketing plans and strategy, product concepts, and promotional programs to drive customer interest and sales
○ Attend conventions, conferences, and trade shows, preparing engaging displays and collateral as needed, and provide post-event reports and analysis
○ Identify new opportunities in the impact investing/sustainable investing market for BlueMark to leverage its services and expertise.
Desired qualifications and experience:
● Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in marketing, advertising, or communications
● 8+ years of experience with a successful track record in senior marketing role and campaign creation
● Excellent leadership, communication, and decision-making skills
● Experience in digital and print marketing, content marketing, and social media marketing
● Proven ability to plan and manage budgets
● Understanding of and experience using CRM systems to track information and conduct analytics
● Experience managing social media marketing strategy
● Ability to conduct market research and develop outreach strategies
● Aptitude for working in a small business environment
● Ability to manage multiple tasks with high attention to detail and organization
● High level of personal and professional integrity
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Entrepreneurial and collaborative disposition, with a bias towards action
● Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion
● Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
Preferred qualifications (not required)
● Experience working in a sales or business development role a plus; preferably within financial services, impact investing, or an adjacent industry
● Familiarity with Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) and impact investing
● Web design and/or email marketing experience
● Sense of humor and self-awareness
Hiring Process FAQs:
● What are some of the benefits and perks?
○ Every other week is a 4-day workweek!
○ A professional development stipend is available for every employee to use towards improving their expertise and soft skills.
○ Beyond providing a work laptop, we have a work from home stipend available for employees to help make their home working space better.
○ Retreats: We hold retreats every year where team members get together in a beautiful location to brainstorm and just have a fun time.
○ We close the office for the last week of December so everyone can enjoy time with family and friends during the holiday season.
○ You will be directly influencing the decisions of some of the largest institutions in the world. Since we are a small team, you will be in direct contact with institutional decision-makers who are trying to create large-scale social and environmental change through investments.
● What’s your policy on remote work?
○ We embrace team members’ flexibility to work remotely. For cities that have more than 3 employees, we encourage the team to meet at least once a week, but it is not required.
● What will the hiring process look like?
○ Looking for a new job can be a daunting experience. Our approach is based in empathy and a desire for candidates to have a good experience. We want to give everyone an opportunity to display their strengths through their answers to our questions.
○ Hiring Process: Our timeline from application close date to decision typically takes ~4 weeks. Below are the steps week by week:
■ Week 1 - Applications are blind reviewed: Our process is designed to remove bias by having your application answers randomly assigned to our team for review. Two team members score the responses based on a set of guidelines. The candidates with the highest average scores get invited to the interview round. We do not look at resumes and we do not know whose answers we are scoring. We embrace a diversity of working styles and backgrounds and believe that limiting applications to resumes fails to capture the full potential of an individual.
■ Week 2 - Behavioral Interview - The first interview is a 45-minute structured interview with non-senior team members.
■ Week 3- Senior Management Interview: The candidates with the highest average scores from the first round interview are invited to a second structured interview with Senior Management.
■ Week 4 - Decision / Potential Partner Interview: Usually, following the senior management interview, we will have a hiring decision made. However, we may opt for scheduling one more interview for the highest-scoring candidates.
● How would you describe your culture?
○ Collaborative, inclusive, passionate, and fun. We encourage all team members to be their full selves at work. As a relatively small team, there are a lot of opportunities to have your voice heard. Our structure is relatively flat, and you are able to influence decisions, processes, and policies even as an Analyst.
● How does the commitment to DE&I influence the culture and work environment?
○ We have an internal DE&I working group that is committed to improving Tideline’s practices, culture, and employee experience. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core tenets of our culture and we place a heavy emphasis on constantly learning and improving our own understanding of what that means for our business.
Each year we conduct a team-wide DE&I survey that focuses on Vision, Leadership, Recruitment, Advancement, Team-based work, and Benefits/Flexibility. The results of this survey directly influence new initiatives to continue to grow in areas we do well, and help improve in areas we have room to grow.
Removing bias from the hiring process
Applications closed Sat 1st Apr 2023
Removing bias from the hiring process
- Your application will be anonymously reviewed by our hiring team to ensure fairness
- You’ll need a CV/résumé, but it’ll only be considered if you score well on the anonymous review
Applications closed Sat 1st Apr 2023