BI Ventures is looking for a Head of Growth to drive one of its newly created products – Promptable (www.promptable.com). Promptable is an online platform that provides students and their ‘study supporters’ with behaviourally-informed reminders, tips and motivation throughout an academic year.
Like all BI Ventures products, it has been built on rigorous evaluations that have shown the effectiveness of these interventions in practice. These show that Promptable significantly increases attendance and achievement.
Promptable’s MVP is live and already revenue-generating. The focus is currently in Further Education Colleges (where Promptable is being used by 33 Colleges, covering around 50,000 students). But we are currently fielding requests from many different settings in the UK and overseas – from small schools to big corporates who want to engage their employees in on-the-job learning.
To scale Promptable, we need a Head of Growth who can drive the product strategy, lead on global customer acquisition and retention, and eventually grow the Promptable team in partnership with the Head of Product (a data scientist and developer).
The successful candidate might have performed a similar role (for example in an early stage b2b tech startup); or might have worked in a bigger organisation (for example as a management consultant). But we are open to applications from anyone who feels that they have the right set of skills, experience and passion.
Overview of the Behavioural Insights Team, BI Ventures and Promptable
Promptable is a product developed within BI Ventures, the Behavioural Insights Team’s product development arm.
The Behavioural Insights Team was created BIT in 2010 to apply behavioural science to public policy in the UK. In February 2014 we became a social purpose company, owned by the Cabinet Office, Nesta (an innovation charity) and our employees. We now have around 130 employees in London, New York, Singapore, and Sydney.
Whilst the subject and output of our projects varies considerably, there are common threads: we try to understand the contexts in which people make decisions; we notice small details; we find out what has and hasn’t worked before; and we measure everything we do as robustly as we can. You can find examples of our work here.
We have, however, always believed that the answer to the policy challenges that BIT tackles isn’t always another policy or government programme. Sometimes it’s a product. That’s why in 2016 we created BI Ventures – to take ideas developed by BIT and turn them into scaleable products with a social impact.
The first of these Ventures – Applied – is an online hiring platform that uses behavioural science to remove bias from recruitment processes (www.beapplied.com). The team were spun out from BI Ventures earlier this year and have just completed a seed funding round. Almost 20,000 job applications have been processed through the platform to date.
We have four other products in the BI Ventures pipeline, of which Promptable is one of the most advanced. Promptable will initially be housed within BI Ventures, which is a key part of BIT’s 2020 strategy.
We will shortly complete an external fundraise to support our portfolio companies with capital (including Promptable). BI Ventures is led by BIT’s co-founder and Managing Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
The roles and responsibilities of the successful candidate(s) will depend on their precise skills, qualifications, and experiences, but are likely to include:
- To work with the Head of Product and the BI Ventures team to set the high level, three year strategy for Promptable;
- To set and manage the commercial strategy for Promptable, which will include developing long-term forecasts, optimising pricing, and managing the quarterly and annual budget;
- Global customer acquisition & business development. This will include developing and executing the marketing plan, managing the pipeline of interested customers, meeting people/organisations who have expressed an interest in using Promptable, and speaking at events and conferences. Where customers are already BIT customers, you’ll work closely with teams in the UK and international BIT offices;
- Defining Promptable’s target markets (current focus is education) and competitors, and working with the Head of Product to build a winning product; and
- As Promptable grows, to set a hiring plan with the Head of Product and the BI Ventures team.
You must be able to demonstrate a balance of skills across those listed below, but we do not expect you to be exceptional in all the areas listed.
- Passion for BI Ventures’ mission (building scaleable products with a social impact);
- Sales in B2B markets. You’ll be confident in pitching products, including to large audiences;
- Experience in developing and executing business plans and product strategies;
- Experience in developing and executing marketing strategies and customer acquisition plans;
- Confident project manager and ability to manage your own time (& the time of others) across competing demands;
- Very confident using and developing spreadsheet models (Excel and Google Sheets) and Powerpoint presentations;
- Ability to write clearly and succinctly for different audiences, particularly where the subject matter is complex and/or academic;
- Creative thinking and pragmatism, particularly with solutions to implementation problems (product, technical or operational); and
- A strong interest in product design and user experience.
- An interest in behavioural science; and
- Experience selling to education providers.
In this application you have the opportunity to apply for our other role, Head of Growth - Predictiv. If you would like to be considered for both roles, please complete question 6 (Predictiv question). Please do not submit two separate applications. If you do not want to be considered for our other Head of Growth role, please put an x in your response to question 6.
- If you do not already hold the right to work in the UK and/or require sponsorship in order to continue working here, you should think carefully before applying. This is because we will be unable to sponsor you unless there is no other suitably qualified settled worker available to fill the role or your current immigration status means that the resident labour market test will not apply in your case.
- If you would like to discuss the role, please contact: email@example.com.
- To find out more about the organisation and the type of people who work in the team visit: http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk.
- The Behavioural Insights Team is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.