Big Society Capital
- Closing: 12:00pm, 17th Jun 2022 BST
As we celebrate 10 years since Big Society Capital’s (BSC’s) launch and implement our brand new 2025 strategy to scale social impact investment and improve peoples’ lives in the UK, we are excited to be recruiting talented Investment Associates to join us on the next stage of our journey.
It is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team of people from a wide range of backgrounds, who are driven by transforming the way mainstream financial markets help deliver deep and lasting impact on people in the UK. Your work will help to solve some of the UK’s most entrenched social issues, so we are looking for someone who shares our passion to improve people’s lives in collaboration with the wider organisation and our external partners, and who is enthusiastic about designing and developing creative solutions.
The Investment Associate will work with colleagues across the organisation to help deliver our investment objectives. The job holder(s) will:
Help us make and manage investments through research and analysis, including:
· Undertaking research and detailed analysis to help us understand social issues and market gaps where social impact investment can help support a solution , within our market systems (social property, social lending, impact venture and social outcomes); synthesize and present these; and monitor relevant market data and update the team on relevant developments in the market systems, for example related to the issues, asset classes and policy areas.
· undertaking supplementary analysis of performance, benchmarks and other research that helps enhance our understanding of performance of the portfolio.
Support prospective investments through our investment process across our market systems, including:
• Undertaking detailed investment analysis, including of the market, the prospective investee, and the financial, social impact and systems change cases;
• Assisting in preparing and presenting investment recommendations to our Investment Committee;
• Project management such as ensuring the consistent application of our investment process and the tracking of new investment opportunities in the pipeline; and,
• Helping deal leads and legal team negotiate legal documents and close transactions.
This will likely involve specialising in one market system for a period of time.
Support management of our existing portfolio investments, including:
· Supporting and co-ordinating fund manager reporting of that helps BSC to assess the contribution of the investments to our systems change, impact and financial goals across our portfolio and in the relevant market system
· Undertaking data gathering, aggregation and detailed analysis to evaluate impact and financial performance across portfolios of investments in our market systems, including working with fund managers on individual investments
Systems change agent
· Supporting delivery of key strategic projects in BSC’s market systems, including through project management
• Supporting our engagement work with investors and with charities and social enterprises to deliver on our market system goals, for example helping to co-ordinate networks and events in partnership with Investment Networks and Engagement teams .
Team and approach
· Helping to build a world class social impact investment team and approach at Big Society Capital, such as acting as a champion for part our investment management approach or being part of a working group to deliver a strategic priority
· Contributing to organisation-wide initiatives that help us deliver our mission such as working groups to improve the way we work or how we engage with certain stakeholders.
• A passion and demonstrable commitment to improving lives in the UK
• Experience of undertaking detailed analysis of social issues and/or financial considerations
• Work experience that faces the financial, social or public sector
• Proven relationship building and influencing skills
• Work experience in social impact investment
• Proven project management skills
• Knowledge of housing or real estate, venture investment, social outcomes contracts or lending
Skills, abilities and attributes
• Structured thinker - able to deal with complexity and uncertainty
• Innovative, creative and strategic approach to problem solving
• Solves problems with multiple stakeholders in an open and empathetic way
• Collegial team player - Flexible and willing to work with and contribute to a team
• Self-starter - able to work under own initiative and source new opportunities
• Relationship management – excellent interpersonal skills and able to build relationships at all levels
• A confident and effective communicator when writing and speaking
• Hunger for continued learning and development, including developing others
· We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our current approach allows colleagues to spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
· Right to work: for candidates who do not have the right to work in the UK, Big Society Capital may consider visa sponsorship
· Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence. Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you. If you have a disability or other access needs and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (People and Talent Manager) at email@example.com
Please apply via Applied by midday Friday 17 June 2022
If you have any questions about the position before making an application, we invite you to a virtual Open Hour with Rebecca MacDonald (Managing Director, Investment ) and Ruth Davidson (People and Talent Manager) at 3.30pm on Wednesday 1 June via Zoom. This is an open opportunity to meet the team and to explore the role and Big Society Capital a little further before you apply. (For anonymity, attendees will have the option to remove their name. and switch videos off). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend, and include what questions you would like us to cover (although we will aim to leave time for additional questions on the day).
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee an interview for all candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are defining a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010, as a person who has a physical or mental impairment, and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. You will be asked in your Applied application whether this applies to you.
Removing bias from the hiring process
Applications closed Fri 17th Jun 2022
Removing bias from the hiring process
- Your application will be anonymously reviewed by our hiring team to ensure fairness
- You’ll need a CV/résumé, but it’ll only be considered if you score well on the anonymous review
Applications closed Fri 17th Jun 2022