Director of Operations
- Closing: 11:59pm, 20th Apr 2023 BST
• As a member of the senior leadership team, play an active role in the implementation of UKAD’s strategy, working with the Chief Executive and other Directors.
• To develop and lead a professional, high performing team to ensure the effective, efficient and best value delivery of anti-doping operations in accordance with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Code and International Standards, international conventions, and the National Anti-Doping Policy.
• To deliver intelligence-led, risk-based testing programmes to detect and deter doping in sport.
• To oversee pro-active and reactive investigations conducted by UKAD’s Intelligence and Investigations Team and to undertake the role of Authorising Officer when necessary.
• To lead protocols for intelligence management and for sharing information between UKAD and stakeholders, including law enforcement partners.
• To co-ordinate the development of scientific research programmes to identify changes and trends in doping activity and to identify appropriate strategies for dealing with them and to ensure delivery of an effective Athlete Biological Passport (ABP) programme and dealing with therapeutic use exemption applications in accordance with WADA’s International Standards.
• To take responsibility as the lead Director of safeguarding for all UKAD activities.
Key Result Areas:
• Contribute to the effective leadership of the organisation as a member of the senior leadership team; working with colleagues throughout the organisation to identify and deliver ways of improving UKAD’s effectiveness, efficiency and driving and supporting innovation.
• Lead the Operations Directorate to deliver excellent application of the World Anti-Doping Code and International Standards in identifying and investigating possible analytical and non-analytical anti-doping rule violations, working closely and collaboratively with the Director of Legal and Regulatory Affairs and the Case Management Team.
• Lead the Directorate in establishing scientific research and collaborative programmes on doping activity and identify strategies to respond.
• Agree plans, targets and standards for the Directorate that support the attainment of UKAD’s financial and strategic objectives with the Chief Executive.
• Provide people leadership through setting direction, motivating the team and generating a sense of common purpose alongside effective ways of working across the organisation.
• Provide effective leadership for Doping Control Personnel.
• Lead the development of policies and practices that ensure UKAD promotes the highest standards in delivering drug-free sport.
• Manage and develop anti-doping testing, including the Test Distribution Plan, Registered Testing Pools, the implementation of the Testing Programme and the delivery of the Athlete Passport programme.
• Develop intelligence management systems and establish working practices and appropriate internal programmes with stakeholders, including law enforcement partners.
• Lead the development and continuous improvement of management information systems and data analytics that will inform policy development and increase factual understanding of the issues.
• Develop and lead relevant research programmes in science and medicine.
• Implement continuous improvement across the organisation, working with teams to identify and realise opportunities.
• Lead the commitment to safeguarding through policies and practices, to ensure that UKAD practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice. Acting as UKAD’s Dedicated Person, being the UKAD lead for any safeguarding matter.
• Develop and maintain positive and constructive relationships with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), Home Country Sports Council, and National Governing Bodies (NGBs) of Sport.
• Manage relationships with NGBs in respect of testing and intelligence management.
• Manage relationships with law enforcement agencies in respect of information sharing.
• Work with WADA and other international organisations to establish harmonious international standards and practices.
• Work with the DCMS in respect of the implementation of relevant aspects of the National Anti-Doping Policy.
• Oversee relationships with major event organisers specifically as they relate to the delivery of contracted testing and intelligence services.
• Oversee the relationships with key stakeholders and suppliers to the anti-doping programme, e.g. commercial testing agencies, couriers etc.
• Represent UKAD to the highest standards if/when co-opted onto the committees or working groups of NGBs or other partner and stakeholder organisations.
• Plan, manage and monitor the financial and human resources of the Directorate.
• Provide advice to the Chief Executive on priorities and development needs.
• Provide negotiating positions and briefings for public representation to the Chief Executive, Chair and Board.
• Develop and apply appropriate activity reporting mechanisms consistent with the ministerial priorities and performance reporting to UKAD's Board.
• Lead (and sponsor) projects as appropriate.
Senior Management Competencies:
Values and Inclusivity
Demonstrate an authentic commitment to our values through leadership; and play an active role in ensuring the environment we create is diverse and inclusive.
Driving for Results
Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goal attainment; tenaciously working to meet or exceed those goals while deriving satisfaction from the progress of goal achievement and continuous improvement.
Strategic Decision Making
Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts available resources, constraints and organisational values.
Communicating the Vision
Passionately communicating an organisational strategy; creating a clear view of the future state by helping others understand and feel how things will be different when the future vision is achieved.
Developing Strategic Relationships
Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to influence and build effective relationships with business partners (e.g. peers, functional partners, external vendors, and alliance partners).
Using appropriate methods and interpersonal styles to develop, motivate, and guide a team toward successful outcomes and attainment of business objectives.
Understanding and utilising economic, financial and industry data to accurately diagnose business strengths and weaknesses, identifying key issues, and developing strategies and plans.
• Demonstrable experience in equivalent Senior Leadership level role, ideally within a governmental or regulatory organisation.
• Proven experience of setting and achieving long-range goals with strong strategic decision-making ability.
• Experience of developing and implementing successful change strategies both internally and externally.
• Proven experience of utilising appropriate methods and interpersonal styles to develop, motivate and guide a team toward successful outcomes and attainment of business objectives.
• Knowledge of the World-Anti-Doping Code and International Standards.
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of at least one of the following areas: intelligence and investigation processes and protocols (e.g. in a law enforcement or regulatory environment); intelligence-led, risk-based testing programmes; the development of scientific research programmes to identify changes in doping activity.
• An understanding and appreciation of the sporting landscape, and how best to engage with athletes and the wider sport community.
• Experience of building and sustaining strategic relationships with a network of key stakeholders internally and externally.
• Ability to develop innovative solutions and use initiative in problem solving.
• Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills.
• Strong budget management and budget planning skills.
Removing bias from the hiring process
Applications closed Thu 20th Apr 2023
Removing bias from the hiring process
- Your application will be anonymously reviewed by our hiring team to ensure fairness
- You’ll need a CV/résumé, but it’ll only be considered if you score well on the anonymous review
Applications closed Thu 20th Apr 2023