Investment Manager (Treasury)
Big Society Capital
- Closing: 12:00pm, 28th Nov 2022 GMT
Job Title: Investment Manager – Treasury Portfolio
Location: Hybrid: London (Chancery Lane area) and homeworking
Contract: Permanent, full-time (open to flexible working options)
Reporting to - Managing Director, Head of Investment Management
Salary – £52,750 - £63,250 (full time equivalent) per annum, depending on experience
About the role
We are excited to be recruiting a talented Investment Manager to join our team to contribute to our mission improve peoples’ lives in the UK and support our strategy to scale social impact investment.
As we celebrate 10 years since Big Society Capital’s (BSC’s) launch, we have evolved our approach to delivering our treasury portfolio to better support our overall investment objectives to manage our £625 million capital. Our social investment portfolio drives our work, and the treasury portfolio has an important role to play to contribute to our sustainability with strong ESG and impact contribution while it waits to be deployed into social investments. We are looking for an Investment Manager to help us deliver the modified approach to our treasury portfolio with the opportunity to also work closely with the social investment portfolio and on specific social investment over time.
It is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team of people from a wide range of background, who are driven by transforming the way mainstream financial markets help deliver deep and lasting impact on people in the UK. Your work will help us to deliver our strategy and contribute to our work to help solve some of the UK’s most entrenched social issues, so we’re looking for someone who has a strong background in multi-asset investment and shares our passion to improve people’s lives in collaboration with the wider organisation.
What you will do
The Investment Manager will work with colleagues across the organisation to help deliver our investment objectives, particularly our treasury portfolio. The job holder(s) will:
Lead prospective investments through our investment process across for our treasury portfolio and over time, across our market systems, including:
• Project and relationship management, including supporting pipeline development and tracking;
• Undertaking detailed investment analysis, including of the market, the prospective investee, and the financial and ESG/impact cases;
• Preparing and presenting investment recommendations to our Investment Committee;
• Working with colleagues to review legal documents and close transactions working with teams across BSC.
Manage existing portfolio investments in the treasury portfolio and over time, across our market systems, including:
· Working with the fund managers to evaluate and manage their financial and ESG/impact performance, including active engagement and learning;
· Supporting and co-ordinating fund manager reporting to enable us to assess the contribution of the investments to our portfolio;
· Supporting the design and undertaking of analysis on ESG/impact and financial performance of portfolio investments, and over time, the link with the market systems.
Support the delivery of our overall treasury portfolio, including:
· Maintain an ongoing understanding of the market conditions and the potential impact on the portfolio, working closely with a specialist advisor
· Working with colleagues to manage the ongoing relationship with a specialist advisor
· Supporting the ongoing management of the portfolio in line with our liquidity requirements to meet the needs of our Social Investment Portfolio
· Working with the Head of Investment Management and CIO to consider the asset allocation mix of our treasury portfolio based on our social investment portfolio and market conditions
· Supporting ongoing reporting to our Investment Committee and Board on the performance and progress of the treasury portfolio
· Collaborate with the finance team on the operational execution of treasury transactions including the purchase, disposal and new manager mandates.
Team and approach
· Helping to build a world class social impact investment team and approach at Big Society Capital, including through acting as a champion for part of our investment management approach or being part of a working group to deliver a strategic priority.
· Contributing to organisation-wide initiatives that help us deliver our mission such as working groups to improve the way we work or how we engage with certain stakeholders.
What you will bring
· A passion and demonstrable commitment to improving lives in the UK
· Experience in analysing and managing multi asset investments, particularly in fixed income, real assets and multi-asset funds
· Experience undertaking diligence and engaging with fund managers
· Proven relationship building and influencing skills
· Proven project management skills
· Work experience in impact investment
· Decision making experience, deal execution and portfolio management skills
· Experience working with external advisors
· Experience reporting to governance bodies
Skills, abilities and attributes
• Structured thinker - able to deal with complexity and uncertainty
• Innovative, creative and strategic approach to problem solving
• Solves problems with multiple stakeholders in an open and empathetic way
• Collegial team player - Flexible and willing to work with and contribute to a team
• Self-starter - able to work under own initiative and source new opportunities
• Relationship management – excellent interpersonal skills and able to build relationships at all levels
• A confident and effective communicator when writing and speaking
• Hunger for continued learning and development, including developing others
· We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our current approach allows colleagues to spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
· Right to work: for candidates who do not have the right to work in the UK, Big Society Capital may consider visa sponsorship
· Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence. Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you. If you have a disability or other access needs and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (People and Talent Manager) at email@example.com
Please apply via Applied by midday Monday 28 November 2022
Interviews will be held in early-mid December 2022
If you have any questions about the position before making an application, we invite you to a virtual Open Hour with Rebecca MacDonald (Head of Investment Management) at 10.30am on Wednesday 23 November via Teams. This is an open opportunity to explore the role and Big Society Capital a little further before you apply. For anonymity, attendees will have the option to remove their name and switch videos off. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend and include what questions you would like us to cover - although we will aim to leave time for additional questions on the day.
Removing bias from the hiring process
Applications closed Mon 28th Nov 2022
Removing bias from the hiring process
- Your application will be anonymously reviewed by our hiring team to ensure fairness
- You’ll need a CV/résumé, but it’ll only be considered if you score well on the anonymous review
Applications closed Mon 28th Nov 2022