Overall Purpose of the Role:
Big Society Capital has an important role to play in raising awareness and advancing understanding of social impact investment in the UK. With a focus on partnership building and engaging with investors who are motivated by impact, you will be at the forefront of our mission to grow the social impact investment market by engaging investors and working with them to design innovative solutions to complex social problems. As Relationships Director and senior member of our Engagement Team, you will identify, build new and manage existing relationships with organisations who wish to make social investment (in particular: UK and Overseas grant making trusts and foundations and faith-based groups). You will build and enhance our network of both active and interested investors to facilitate more social impact investment from existing pools of capital, mixed motive investments and/or program-related investment. Crucially, you will convene mission-driven groups or initiatives around social issues where we can co-develop and co-deliver investments with impact-first partners to maximize our impact. The ideal candidate will be a natural communicator and relationship-builder, capable of inspiring a vision in others and collaborating with diplomacy and empathy at all times.
You will be responsible for:
• Establish and deepen meaningful partnerships with the priority investor groups at senior management and trustee levels, including identification of key decision making individuals
• Develop solutions that enable investors to participate in social impact investment and support them in addressing barriers they may face • Assist Big Society Capital’s fund managers intermediaries in building their relationships with investors
• Further audience understanding of social impact investment through attending and speaking at relevant industry/ sector events • Build an awareness of social investment within priority investor groups who currently have little or no current understanding of social investment but have high potential
• Build on, manage and support existing relationships with relevant groups and umbrella bodies e.g. Association of Charitable Foundations (ACF), Social Impact Investors Group (SIIG)
• Organise social issue - themed round-tables to bring together potential social investors and to establish early adopters
• Work collaboratively with the investor engagement team and build relationships across the wider organisation.
• Actively work with investment team to develop solutions and tools for social investment to meet the expectations of these investors, strengthening Big Society Capital’s expertise in how repayable finance can contribute to tackling social issues in partnership.
• Map and develop a strategy for prioritising and engaging in investor groups who can play a role in the UK Impact Investment market
• Work closely with the Investment team to identify appropriate investor groups for co-creation of early stage impact specific innovative investments and as co-investors for existing opportunities
• Co-ordinate with the social sector engagement team as it helps to build awareness of the opportunities to use social impact investment as a source of finance
Proven ability to build new relationships and partnerships effectively and to develop and manage existing ones
Experience devising and implementing a successful partnership strategy
Have professional experience of working in or strong knowledge of grant making trusts and foundations, faith-based groups or venture philanthropy
Demonstrable interest in impact investment either in a personal or professional capacity
An understanding of one or more of the investor groups outlined, the issues they care about and existing barriers that may affect their decisions regarding social investment
Working understanding of private market asset classes – property, debt, real assets, venture capital
Skills, abilities and attributes
A confident, effective communicator and networker who is approachable and flexible
An enthusiasm and passion for making a positive difference that is inspiring to others
A people-person with empathy, diplomacy and patience
Ability to make the complex simple when explaining investment proposals in terms of social impact and risk adjusted financial return
A collegial and collaborative team player, able to establish excellent working relationships both internally and externally.
A proactive self-starter, happy to work both autonomously and as part of a close-knit team. A creative flair and innovative mind-set when it comes to finding solutions to problems
Focused, forward-planner, capable of prioritising and working in a systematic and organised way.
Salary and terms of employment
This is a permanent, part-time role (open to flexible working)
All applicants must have an existing Right to Work in the UK
Salary of £68,000- £72,000 FTE (depending on experience)
Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential
Please apply through BeApplied by midday on Wednesday 1st July 2020
Interviews will be held in early-mid July 2020
All Big Society Capital staff are currently working from home. We will be as flexible as possible in light of any COVID-19 priorities and challenges you may be facing.