INVESTMENT ASSOCIATE (Grants)
The Global Innovation Fund (www.globalinnovation.fund) (GIF) is a non-profit, social impact-first investment vehicle that finds, funds, and scales-up cost-effective, evidence-based innovations that have the potential to measurably improve the lives of millions of people living on $5 a day or less.
GIF is focused on doing more with less to turn ideas into impact. To achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, the development community needs to draw on the resources of the private sector. GIF’s commitment to being part of the bridge between entrepreneurs and development finance challenges us to be creative and to seek the partnerships that drive creativity, dynamism, and collaboration. GIF’s unique hybrid model, as both a UK registered charity/US 501(c)3 and an investor, reflects our dual mission: to invest in innovations that improve the lives of the poor, and to demonstrate how bringing evidence and the power of the private sector to bear can create new solutions to persistent development problems.
GIF offers grants, loans and equity-type investments ranging from $230,000 USD to $15 million USD to support a range of innovations with strong potential for social impact at a large scale. We support innovators at different phases of development, ranging from early start-up and pilot-testing to rigorous experiments and larger scale implementation. The innovations GIF supports can be located in any developing country and may focus on any sector relevant to international development.
GIF is seeking an Investment Associate (Grants) to join its dynamic investment team, which finds and funds innovations that have the potential to measurably improve the lives of the world’s poorest people. This role sits within the public sector team, which uses grants to fund innovations developed by for-profit and non-profit entities which scale through public sector or multilateral pathway. The Associate will be required to assist in grants and risk capital investments and will report to a GIF investment Director.
The Investment Associate’s responsibilities will include:
· Screening applications submitted through GIF’s open application platform.
· Supporting the investment team in sourcing applications through different channels and building a pipeline of prospective investments which meet GIF criteria.
· Supporting deal leads in the evaluation of applications under active due diligence. This includes managing correspondence with applicants, attending and documenting meetings with external participants, research support and assisting in the preparation of various investment process documents.
· Supporting deal leads in all activities related to the management of deals in the portfolio. This includes negotiating grant agreements, monitoring progress towards objectives and KPIs, risk identification and mitigation, responding to reporting, maintaining portfolio records and identifying opportunities for GIF to add value to investees through portfolio support activities.
· Identifying opportunities for making improvements to GIF systems and processes and proactively developing collaborative solutions.
· Contributing to wider organisational initiatives, including inputting to communications outputs.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND ATTRIBUTES
· A minimum of 3 years expereince in international development or public policy within a developing country.
· Profession expereince working in a developing country context.
· Education in development economics or related subject.
· Experience working with government in a developing country is a strong plus.
· Familiarity with the fundamentals of grant making or investment processes.
· Excellent analytical skills.
· Strong attention to detail and outstanding organization skills.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Comfort with ambiguity and proven experience thriving in uncharted waters.
· Ability to interact effectively and harmoniously with others.
· Self-motivated, with a commitment and passion to learn and develop.
· Passion, humility, integrity, team player, proven self-direction and a spirited sense of humour.
This role will be based in GIF’s London office (remote working initially). Any job offer made will be subject to the successful candidate having the authorisation to work in the UK prior to commencing work at GIF. This position is available for an immediate start.
HOW TO APPLY
The applicants are urged to follow the instructions available at https://app.beapplied.com/apply/w4k3r2rbw8
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application and in accordance to the evaluation criteria of the job opening. The application process will close at 5pm on Friday 22nd May BST.
Global Innovation Fund is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. If you are unsuccessful in your job application with us, we will retain your data for a period of 6 months from the end of the recruitment process. After this time, your personal data will be permanently deleted from our systems.